ACCF’s Adventure Challenges offer young adults a once in a lifetime opportunity to embark on an adventure that will change the way they view the world around them. I experienced this first-hand when I travelled to Nepal with the ACCF when I was 15. Before I went on the trip, I admit that I was closed-minded and had no idea about what poverty really meant.
I remember seeing families brushing their teeth with the street water from the gutters, people of all ages begging and so many shocking things that I would never see in Australia. What really opened my eyes though, was when the Nepalese girls in the schools we visited were so overly thankful for their vaccinations, as if it was the best thing that had happened to them. These girls were just like me, eager to learn, live and have fun. They deserved the same health rights as I had, and I was motivated to make sure this happened. I realised why it was so important to give back to the people who aren’t as lucky as I am to have the lifestyle and resources that Australia offers. I went home and took it upon myself to never take anything for granted and to do everything I could to make a difference. The trip well and truly changed my life.
By joining on an adventure challenge as a teenager I knew I was doing something really positive for the people in need but also for myself. I have learnt so much and made so many memories that I will take into everything I do as I grow older.
To help you out I’ve put together my top tips for getting the most out of your adventure challenge!
- Don’t worry about what you look like – immerse yourself in your daily activities instead and remember that no one cares anyway!
- Don’t hide behind your camera – you might just miss something that your lens’ do not catch.
- Drink plenty of water – dehydration station is the worst!
- Take a journal and jot down some of the highlights from each day.
- Make an effort to learn as much as possible about the diverse culture around you.
- When you’re feeling sleepy and maybe a little home-sick, keep in mind how lucky you are to have the opportunity to travel to such an exquisite country.
- Pack lightly – there is nothing worse than having no room left in your bag for the awesome gifts you have bought on your trip!
- Make some amazing memories by pushing through your comfort zone!
- Take the time to get to know the other people in your adventure challenge group – you never know what you might learn.
- HAVE FUN! Cliché but true…This is a once in a lifetime opportunity – enjoy it!